FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:04 am
clubeurope

Originally Posted by s0ssos
My friend said it was good advertising to honor the fares. I countered that it wasn't, because it is too expensive an ad campaign. And most of these passengers wouldn't have bought premium class tickets anyway (or cannot afford to).
But in terms of the name, reputation, that might be something. Because maybe some passengers will come into money later, and remember how Cathay did something nice for them once, before they made it ...
hmmm I wouldn't comment on the proportion of the people who bought this fare who are able to afford flying in a premium class. Though, especially for those who, as you said wouldn't be able to afford such tickets otherwise, it would be possible that they then would have favourable views of CX, and choose CX on their subsequent flights, whether in Y, PEY, or even J as opposed to rivals like AC, given their experience. This can work in the long term in terms of building some sort of loyalty, but how significant this is to CX's revenue is still questionable.