FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asking to be guested in on the escalator
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:01 pm
trooper

Originally Posted by GCab
It's not unexpected though, is it?

This chap knowingly brought more people to the airport than he was entitled to bring into the lounge, and then waited around to pounce on a stranger to help him breach the limits on his privileges, in what sounds like a pre-determined 'routine'.

It was all pre-decided, by him - he could have opted to pay for higher class tickets, or go to a pay lounge, or the seafood bar, or whatever, but instead he chose, in advance, to do the hover-and-pounce thing, based on his (inadequate for this occasion) status, all of which makes me surprised this whole discussion isn't in the DYKWIA thread.

That's not the same as "oh look, my long-lost daughter has unexpectedly turned up on the same flight just as I was about to step in to the lounge with my wife on our long-planned retirement trip, whatever shall we do?", as the above analogy implies.

I'm not a GCH but from a social equity / 'two types of people in the world' point of view, the discussion is interesting. I think it boils down to, is this someone in distress due to an unexpected turn of events, in which case charity is reasonable, or someone knowingly playing the system / leveraging the "I'm a GCH and so are you" moral pressure angle to get something he has already decided he is not prepared to pay for?

The crux of it is, if you know he has planned this and is going to do it on the return flight as well, and in fact fully intends to keep repeating it every time he travels with 3 people (the 'Deliberate Freeloader' scenario) , would you feel the same urge to help as if it is a one-off distress request (the 'Charity Case' scenario)?

It sounds to me as if the key divide in this thread is between those who see it as the former, or those who see it as the latter.
How do you know that? He might have been "flustered" because ANOTHER GCH (a friend) had been unable to travel at the very last minute... said friend was going to guest in the extra person. No, I have no evidence that might have been the case, but you have no evidence for your assertion either.

Not BA, actually NZ.. but I've seen that EXACT scenario play out, and the principle holds. I was able to guest in the extra person...(So I went from no guests to ONE...and was allowed FIVE...so please don't tell me I was making the lounge "crowded") I was travelling alone, and yet ended up having a wonderful time in the Lounge with a very nice family......