FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A lot of carriers have a 22x14x9 limit - is this absolutely strict?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:52 pm
ngomaam

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Depends on the carrier, as well as sometimes the gate agent, the type of ticket or boarding group (e.g., they tend to be more strict with latter boarding groups or those on "basic" or highly restricted budget fare classes).. Where do you typically fly and what do you mean by "most airlines?" Which are your typical carriers? If anywhere outside North America, my general experience is that 22" carry-ons are considered large.
I don't fly frequently, although I plan to travel more frequently in the new year (maybe 5 trips or so, mostly domestic, one planned international). Domestically I'm on Alaska and Southwest a lot, and their limits appear fine for my needs, but I also fly United (points) and they seem to have one of the smaller size restrictions.

I've been carrying a Filson Medium duffel bag as my main travel bag that I carry on. Never stuffed to the brim but I've never had any issues with this bag. I guess it's harder to instantly gauge the size of a duffel versus hard luggage.