FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tasmania and the Great Barrier Reef via Qantas First Class
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:32 pm
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
While researching Tasmania and Hobart activities, I found this really cool simulator experience. A 737 simulator... in Hobart?? Owned by a local tech guy with other businesses, the simulator is a hobby which he built on his own with parts assembled from all over the world. I had originally booked an hour for Sunday, but Robert was kind enough to get me in today to accomodate the helicopter reschedule. The simulator is in his offices right in downtown Hobart.

Inside the cockpit.

After a brief introduction, I was ready to fly. Rob's program and simulator lets you fly to and from any airport in the world. For the first fight, I picked LAX to SNA/Orange County-John Wayne. And here we are at the top of 24L at LAX. The controls are remarkably responsive, complete with engine noise and cockpit warning sounds and lights. I snapped some iphone pics but Rob also uploaded a youtube video of the entire session so I incorporated some of those as well.

Approaching rotation speed.

Turning back east.

Over LA.

On approach to John Wayne.

Landing at John Wayne. With Rob's expert and patience tutelage, I nailed it on my first try.

Up next we headed for Innsbruck, Austria where the mountains made landing more challenging and fun. Indeed, commerical pilots apparently need specialy training to be able to fly here. I did two take-offs and landings, one up and back on the same runway. The other was a loop close to the mountains for a more difficult landing. The view from the top of Runway 8.

Turning back to land on Runway 26.

Runway 26 in the distance.

The 2nd flight here was also a take off from the same Runway 8.

But this time I'm going head directly at the mountains to the south of the airport, skirt them and make a hard turn and descent to land on Runway 8.

Nailed it. What fun.

And finally, JFK to Laguardia. And since it's December, naturally there is snow on the ground.

Lining up for Runway 13.

Yes! So cool.

What a great experience, which I cannot recommend more highly to anyone, even those with just a passing interest in flying,

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:04 pm