FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cascadia 2018: Seattle, Portland, Eugene w/ BA Club World, Norwegian Premium & Amtrak
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:50 am
TheFlyingDoctor

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
I did this earlier this year while on a Business trip. I was visiting a city that I had been to many times, and yet, having to shop for essentials and learning basics like how they recycle glass and all sorts made me appreciate the trip even more.
Ha, yes, whilst we recycle at home it's a completely different set up to Seattle's! Our host had also left us a discount card for their local supermarket - QFC - but even with that we were amazed by the discrepancy between the price of food out (cheaper than the UK, especially given portion sizes) and groceries (far more expensive). We also found a nearby Italian deli which clearly wouldn't be a destination in its own right, but offered more interesting choices than a chain. In both cases, we also realised how much America favours cars over pedestrians - having to traipse past the place you wanted until you find a crossing is no fun in 32C heat. Anyway, none of this would have been experienced if we'd stuck with central hotels for the whole trip.