FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:27 am
Grsdo

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think as long as people don’t do this frequently, it shouldn’t be a problem. If one books a return far out, if the schedule changes it could be cancelled - though I’m not sure what effect it’d have if a one way costs more.

We often do two crossings so we use both outbound and return. On one ways, we have found weird less expensive one ways involving codeshares - on OTA sites, and of course we have used lots of awards. (We’ve probably earned about 10M award miles between the two of us, and we have done AAnytime awards - the DFW-KEF a few months ago were, but the alternative of $20k for both was always a nonstarter).

But you should be able to find a pair of award seats to LON - even if you spend a couple of days in London, there’s lots to see, do and eat.
Update: continuing to look for award space for DAY - LHR in September. Just in time for the New Year, it appears AA has increased all of the weekday AAnytime business class awards for September from 110,000 to 135,000 miles. I find that interesting since it appears they haven't sold a single business class seat on most of the TATL flights. How often do they increase the cost of AAnytime awards and is there any chance of it coming back down? Wondering if I should book AAnytime and cut my losses or keep holding out for sAAver award space.

I did follow your suggestion and looked at a couple throwaway ticketing options, but I still come out ahead using miles (purchasing additional as needed) for this one-way flight.