Old Dec 31, 18, 9:47 am
beyondhere

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
There are some that don't prefer MDW, LGA, or FLL.

Locals would know more but I think the ORD market over the MDW market is small. This includes those from Rockford and northern Chicago suburbs, like Niles.

EWR does have a big market that prefers EWR to LGA. Those from West Orange, Saddle River, Morristown, and much most of Northern New Jersey.

MIA does have a market that prefers MIA to FLL, mostly the city of Miami but not Broward County.

So, DAL-EWR seems like the biggest market of the three over competing airports that are served by WN. One problem is that only O&D would fly the route. Not many from SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, or SAN would want to fly to EWR via DAL.
If AS were to introduce DAL-EWR, WN would immediately find a way to squeeze that route in, and fares between EWR and DAL/DFW would plummet as well. WN originally wanted to service that route, but when VX announced DAL-LGA, WN decided to not service DAL-EWR and instead run a higher frequency service (than originally anticipated) to LGA. This in effect made it all the more difficult for VX.

I do like the idea of DAL-ORD - it's shorter than DAL-east coast (and less risk), many prefer ORD over MDW and AS services ORD, and still large enough of a market and not too niche, but AS would rather just stick to a strategy of it's west coast markets to DAL. At this point, it's out of strategy.

I'm more intrigued with the need to service DFW and DAL at the same time. I'm kind of surprised it can't just consolidate at DAL.