FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for Paris - Hotel, public transportation
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:43 am
Bestvoyages

Originally Posted by p_man
The family (Mr/Ms p_man + 16 year old son) will be in Paris for a week in January/February. We've never been there, so I was hoping folks could help out regarding:

1) A decent hotel for three people. Rooms seem to have a single king or queen or two twins. Ms. p_man is leery of a room just for the kid, so are there any decent options for a family of three? Chain doesn't matter a ton, but we have at least minimal status at Marriott and Hyatt. (We've been through the Mercure sleep sofa travesty a couple of times in Poland, don't want to recreate that in Paris.)

2) My son will need to be just inside the southern edge of the 13th arrondissement from 9-5 on a Wednesday and Thursday, quite close to the Porte d'Ivry station. That's fine, but he'll be hauling a fencing bag (roughly equivalent to a golf bag) back and forth. Is that at all reasonable during morning/afternoon commutes? (We'll need to be in a hotel in that area by Thursday night, but wanted to spend some time in the more "Paris-y" part of town first. We could just suck it up and go down there Tuesday or Wednesday, but wanted to avoid that if possible.)

Any general advice is always helpful - hidden gems, underrated museums (WW 1 or 2 things are always interesting), anything else.... Thanks!

I don’t know which hotel is best for you and your family, there are so many great hotels in Paris!

But I can suggest downloading the Citymapper app. Friends we stay with while in Paris suggested it to us and we’ve not seen anything more efficient in explaining exactly how to get around Paris.

Sure, you can call a taxi for every movement, but if you need any info on bus, subway or train travel in Paris, Citymapper is the best we’ve seen. You can even start mapping your routes before your departure and save them in the app for easy reference after you arrive.

Enjoy Paris!