FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on 8 day trip to San Francisco and Monterey 1st time with family
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:35 pm
freeagent

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I'd recommend staying at either the Grand Hyatt or the Hyatt Regency in the Embarcadero. I'd stay away from Fisherman's Wharf. Fisherman's Wharf is worth a visit, but not a place you would want to stay at for 4 days. Fisherman's Wharf is very commercialized and is centered towards tourist.

As for seeing Muir Woods and Sausalito, I'd say the tour is the way to go since you now need to reserve parking at Muir Woods. In addition if you went to Muir Woods on your own you would need to rent a car as it takes about an hour from downtown SF. It is doable on your own and I'm not a huge fan of tours thats just me, but if you enjoy tours I'd take the tour. If you end up not doing the tour it is possible to see Sausalito by taking a ferry which leaves from the Ferry Terminal at the farmers market.

Ferry Link: Golden Gate Transportation District

I'd save Big Sur for another time, between Carmel, Santa Cruz, and Monterey there will be plenty to do. I would recommend staying near SFO on your return just for peace of mind. As gaobest said there are plenty of great restaurants near SFO.