FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyingBear

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Good argument if there are more Saver fares purchased than Saver allocated seats prior to OLCI (if that is even possible) but conversely, your odds may go up if few are sold. I don't know that AS would be punative in only assiging middle seats on a light load. It would be counterproductive IMHO. We don't know the mechanics of how that would work.

From a revenue perspective, if there are 18-24 Saver allocated seats and they are all spoken for, why not just stop selling Saver altogether?

James
The worst seat first method is what I observed on Spirit flights when I booked for family and a comment in a recent TPG article I read on Frontier (https://thepointsguy.com/news/what-i...ontier-flight/). I'm not sure how the big 3 handle their seat selection. It would be customer-unfriendly for sure, but would encourage people to buy up if avoiding middle matters.

You are right that we won't know until it rolls out. It'll just take collection of data on here to establish patterns, so I hope people do report on their experiences. I also suspect that AS will make adjustments after the few weeks to months of Saver fares in the air. I think cutting out Saver after the seats are gone is not a bad approach. We'll see how it goes. I just hope they don't make so many adjustments that employees are left enforcing different iterations of the policy.