FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:10 pm
Xrayman

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by scfw0x0f
Exactly. My primary route is (don't laugh) MFR-PDX, and I have been flying it enough to get MVPG on segments. But a $30 increase on a base fare of $100 for a single segment (QX is MFR-PDX, DL is MFR-SEA-PDX) means that it takes more than twice as much actual spend to get to any elite level on AS vs. DL. This has probably always been true, but as any pilot knows, any change in configuration can be dangerous, and AS just threw in a big change; enough to get me, at least, to look at alternatives.

The savers fare and conditions now match that of DL for SEA and MKE direct. The $30 savers to main is exactly the same as DL pricing format on this route. DL route uses an Embraer jet and thus always a window or aisle vs AS the savers fare is likely a middle. The pricing for the tickets class for class is virtually identical.

They still got me on AS as a 75K elite level status that permits me to select a PC seat immediately even when selecting the lowest non savers fair in main cabin. However for my family if not flying with me the savers fair on DL is now in play as it has better value than the savers fair for AS at the same price. Window or aisle in back beats middle seat in the back.

I warn AS to the fact that they as a smaller carrier with fewer destinations than DL must have a differentiation of service or quality that are meaningful in value in order to get loyalty. Being the EXACT same on price as DL for SEA to MKE route is not going to win over the larger market as the product is actually less value (again an embraer window or aisle only vs a center seat on a main line jet is NOT competitive for customer value equation).