FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:22 am
Darksun

Originally Posted by SHLTP
They have always had a 3rd person surcharge on points. Was thinking about booking before devaluation and they said kids have to pay surcharge. Reasonable as included food and activities.

Not Reasonable now if food etc separate
They have always had a surcharge, but they have not always been a Marriott property. SPG's T&Cs may have allowed extra-person fees on award bookings, but Marriott's do not. Marriott's T&Cs were updated after the SPG acquisition and they made exceptions for two SPG properties, and Al Maha was not one of them. But Marriott is so lax on enforcement that it doesn't matter and it turns out even Marriott properties are charging extra-person fees.

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other charges, including incidentals, resort fees and The Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

i. Standard rooms vary between Participating Properties and Participating Brands. Upgraded rooms, including upgrades based on size, view, services, and/or suites, are available at a higher Points cost, as described in Section 3.3.

ii. With an Award Redemption Stay, bedding and smoking preferences may be requested, but are not guaranteed.

iii. At the following all-inclusive properties, the Points redeemed for an Award Redemption Stay include the cost of up to two people in the standard room and room tax. Extra-person charges for the third, fourth, or more guests in the room is an additional fee and is not included in the Award Redemption as form of payment. This fee as well as all other property charges are the responsibility of the Loyalty Program Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, Costa Rica • Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, Panama
I don't know if the surcharge now will still include room and board, as the price has not changed from before. I'm awaiting an answer from the property about it. I agree that it'd be unreasonable for them to continue charging 1600 AED/night for the extra-person if they aren't including the food/activities. I personally don't think the included food/activities is "worth" 1600 AED/night anyways so my friends and I are still deciding what we want to do.