FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:47 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zyq
Hey guys question about being 1550 miles short for an award flight.

I want to book a Qatar flight from Addis Ababa - Doha - JFK for 40k miles and $60 in fees.

However, I am at 38,450 at Platinum Pro status with AA. I was considering buying a couple grand worth of miles to make the 40k but they seem to be a terrible deal: 98.43 for 2k after taxes and fees. Another option would be going on a miles run but that would cost more than paying for the miles. There might be a chance that I will travel for work before my trip but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to acquire these remaining miles to 40k.

Thanks.
Do you have Marriott points that you can transfer? You could also purchase Marriott points and transfer them to AA; Marriott doesn't charge the 7% tax or $35 processing fee. Under the old SPG program, the transfer would usually take about 3-5 days. Not sure how long it would take with Marriott, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was longer (apparently, it takes 48 hours for them to process a purchase of Marriott points, as I recently learned the hard way).