FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations: Melbourne, Broome, Margaret River, Perth and Sydney
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:44 pm
CPMaverick

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you don't mind a simple pub-style menu, I quite like Ocean Reach Brewing on Phillip Island (Cowes). Mainly I like the beer, but the food is tasty, might be a good quick stop before the Penguins.

Originally Posted by bensyd
I wouldn't plan on doing winery tours and driving. It's the Christmas holidays and all highway patrol get no holiday leave so they can be out busting drink drivers. Victoria is the most draconian state when it comes to road rule enforcement in Australia – they'll book you for doing 3km/h over the limit. Also the drink driving limit in Australia is .05, not .08 as it is in the US.
Agreed. Also Australia do enjoy their random roadside breath testing. I have encountered one on a weekday at 1 pm in the middle of nowhere country Victoria. You don't have to commit any traffic violation to end up blowing in a tube. Suggest anyone driving severely limit their drinking intake or don't drink at all. Luckily Australia does cater to this, by selling small beer sizes (a pot is a 1/2 pint) and 'mid-strength' beers. Ask what mid strength they have available, which would be around 3.5%. There are usually some decent options.