FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Online Check In and Room Upgrades" thread
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:18 pm
Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by jediwho
I am staying at the Waldorf in Las Vegas for NYE. I am Diamond (thanks to Aspire) and used my rewards certificate. I have the option of checking in online and getting a city view room, but I am wondering if that would reduce my chances of an upgrade to strip view (for the fireworks). So, the question is, which one has better odds of an upgrade: check in online today or tomorrow around 3.30 pm?

***For a one-time event night like that, squeaky wheels get greased.

I'd call aheadearly on the 30th, when they are likely assigning rooms, and ask the front desk what kind of room they have you in. Ask politely then if there "are view rooms available, and may I request an upgrade to a high floor view?"

They'll usually take note of this request, and when they dole out rooms that evening for morning check-in, the request is in the queue.

It might not happen, availability and such, but you'll be a mile ahead of people that don't bother asking until they show up at 4pm on the 31st, bellying up to the check-in desk asking "So... got any good rooms left?"

Can't hurt to ask, and the sooner the better.

PS: Yes, it's worked for me.

PPS: I'm trying to talk my wife into coming down to LV to do NYE at Waldorf as well! She hates Vegas (well, so do I), but it sounded like a quick flight and fun experience. I've been meaning to try to WA, and that sure sounds like a great time to give it a go. Other than an assured crowded late-am breakfast, I suppose...

Have fun!