FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 48 in CE - good idea?!
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:50 am
lost_in_translation

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
I think that the people doing the people looking at things as you put it are doing their job thoroughly and reaching the appropriate conclusions hence why we are seeing full cabins and in recent years the introduction of Club Europe on domestic services. This was something that for a long time many thought wouldn't work as it reduces capacity and therefore was a question of maintaining the income versus the reduced seating capacity by removal of 2 seats per row. Clearly they judged that it was the right time for it, leading to the introduction on domestic flights.
I very much doubt BA *wanted* to introduce CE on domestic routes and I also doubt this was done because they reasoned that standalone domestic CE tickets were a good idea. Rather I suspect BA had its hand forced by the fact that all of the competition offers a J product from U.K. regional airports (whether the likes of AF and KL connecting to the US or EK and the like going East) and after domestics stopped receiving free catering BA was frightened about the competitiveness of their product from the regions.