FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Caveat emptor
Thread: Caveat emptor
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:21 am
Zurick
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Caveat emptor

Have now had two airbnbs with problems by condo association / building management.

1) Rented in London at new building by the new American Embassy. Great pictures including pool and gym and sauna. When I arrived, met by "friend of owner" and told "previous renter lost building key" and then she pushed call button and said we were friends of the owner. A day later an inspection team from management came by. As I had no outer key, I had to wait until someone coming or going to get in and could not access the pool, gym or sauna. Turns out "guest did not lose the key" - Just no key for AIRBNB as they were not allowed. Must admit that AIRBNB refunded the entire week's rent.

2) Rented at Lake Tahoe in Constillation/Ritz time share. Same as above although did not get refund and property manager realized it was not our fault and "took care of us" Just got no daily housekeeping (or TP replacement) but maid in hallway cool; and could not use owner's lounge.

The one in London turned out to be owned by a real estate company who owned about ten of the apts in the building complex. They rented them out while waiting to sell. In fact the room we were supposed to have was cancelled 10 min before arrival due to "a water leak" and they moved us across the street. Turned out the first had sold.

I have rented 5 AIRBNB in past 2 years. Two in Paris with great experience, One in Nice terrible as was the one in London. The one in Lake Tahoe was ok. Turns out the one in Nice and London were both owned by real estate companies and not the owner which is not how airbnb was founded. In reading negative reviews it also appears that many are from those rented by firms not owners.