FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:04 am
skimthetrees

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I have a question - in theory, what would happen if you have a hotel booked on a points advance reservation and it goes up in price but don’t have the certificate attached. Are you still able to attach to existing reservation if it goes up?
I believe once you make the reservation and lock in the price the price will not change unless you make a change to the reservation that would cause it to reprice the points required (which the certificate does not do). Looking at it another way, once you lock in the points price by making the reservation with a points advance, if you pay for the reservation later in points the cost will not change. Similarly, if you pay later with a cert the cost should not change so long as the cert covers the points cost needed by the existing reservation.

Simply having the points cost go up should not be a factor with an existing reservation. I am not sure what happens if the hotel goes up in category and the cert you want to apply does not cover the new category. Is the existing res tied to the category at the time the reservation was made? Someone should have previous experience with this from the OC travel packages.