FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two adults, two kids in European Marriott?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:02 am
yjc281

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by vanabb
I've been in Germany for the last few years, with a family of three (2 adults and now a 13yr old). We've traveled all over Europe as SPG plat, and now recently with Marriott. I've found that so long as I have status, booking the room for 2 adults only is enough. With SPG on arrival normally we'd be upgraded and there would be no fee for an extra bed, but this depends a lot on the properly. I'd say 9/10 times no fee with SPG. We traveled in Japan and China recently, still with SPG, and found the same.

As a plat SPG upgrades were the norm, but with Marriott they are the exception.

With Marriott now things are very different. I still book for only 2 adults, but I always inform them ahead a day or two that we will be three, and ask if we could be 'upgraded to a suitable room'. Sometimes this works, but almost always there charge a fee for the extra bed (30-50 Euro) per night. No extra fee at the JW in London for example.

No fee with kid and extra bed examples (most upgraded). All allowed breakfast for all 3 of us.

Element Amsterdam
R. Dusseldorf (upgrade to 2 double bed room)
LM Stuttgart
Westin Munich
Arabella Sheraton Munich
Westin & each Sheraton in Frankfurt
Element Frankfurt (gave us an extra room no charge!)
Sheraton Heathrow
Bolzano 4P (charged for kid's breakfast)
Venice 4P
JW Marriott London
LM Nice
Design Hotel Rotterdam
4P Dornbirn
4P Zurich Sihlcity

In Asia:
Westin Tokyo
Westin Osaka
Sheraton Grande Miyazaki (awesome stay btw)
Westin Awaji
Westin Nanjing
Sheraton Kingsley Nanjing
LM Sentosa Singapore (onsen room upgrade)
and others

Those that charged an extra bed fee, that I can remember:
R. Tuscany/Barga
Sienna 4P (50 Euro/night even with suite upgrade)
Prague Sheraton (declined the 50 Euro\night, used a camp mat for 5 nights)
Nordwijk Oranje hotel
Des Indes, the Hague (charged for kid's breakfast)

Alas for the SPG days...
Thanks for sharing the very useful info. I e-mailed two hotels in Rome and can confirm one of them would not allow a 8 years old kid with two adults in standard rooms.
St. Regis Rome.
They would require us to stay in a larger room. ($1000+ a night and no point option)
I do appreciate them to be clear up front so we would not have trouble when we arrive.
The other one has not replied but I suspect the same.
I will update if I get more replies.