FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long time away from SQ, anything changed?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:32 pm
YuropFlyer

Coming back from the trip, just giving myself (and others who might be in a similar situation) a note that flying SQ Y indeed is quite a few notches better than flying LX Y (or similar products)

Crew was less robotic as I remembered, in a positive way. Food was - for Y - excellent and snacks in the galley where of good quality. For similar products on LX, you've to pay. Drinkable red wine, and much more choices of beers including Swiss Quöllfrisch (that Swiss usually runs out after 2hrs into a 12hrs flight ) and Tiger. And a third brand, which I didn't tried. In short, both food and drinks in both quality as well as quantity clearly better than what you get at LH Group.

The A380 flying experience is still very decent - 10 abreast on a A380 simply is much more space than 10 abreast on a 777.. seat pitch also being reasonable.

I had no luck with exit row seats (neither at OLCI, where none were available despite checking 48hrs before the flight on the spot) but regular aisle seats did the job.

IFE was good, but not as good as I remembered. Still better than the "new" one at LX.. and decent headphones (in ear, without pain even after hours)

All in all, I think with even flight times, I'd probably pay an extra 150-200€/CHF per way for flying SQ over LX in Y. And 25% miles on LX don't help much to swing it back in their favour.

When I've a connection in SIN (and thus won't arrive at 5am'ish into Singapore which requires an extra hotel night and/or basically a very tired day ahead) I'll pick SQ any day over LX again.

Even on the 30min short haul hop to KUL (which was delayed in both ways due to Malaysian ATC) the crew managed to hand out water/juice/coffee/tea for everyone (load 90%+) - quite impressed.

Oh, and I actually DID like the new Chinese dishes at the "Gold" lounge in SIN. While the lack of shower is still annoying, the food choices are quite a bit better. And using their "refresher" machine in the T2 lounge did got me a fresh-feeling shirt (guess that's their shower alternative, LOL)

The Silverkris in KUL is still very much a disgrace, used the Thai one which at least has more comfortable seats..