FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:36 pm
Offshore171

Originally Posted by Gig103
"Another hit"? It's vodka, not crack cocaine.
It's a very common colloquialism.

If a drinker at a bar says "hit me" to the bartender while pointing at their empty glass, it means they want another.

Just for another perspective, I worked behind the bar for a few years in my student days. One thing you learn quickly is to spot the difference between people drinking for the taste or in a responsible social context, versus all-out "fuelling" - which is drinking to get heavily drunk in as short a time as possible.

The strong indicators of fuelling behaviour are ordering double shots of straight spirits, and it's nearly always vodka, tequila or rum. And quite reliably, this guy is the patron who causes an incident.

Unfortunately for the OP, their drinking pattern on this occasion fits this style and probably made the FA wary. Now I'm sure that the OP is one of the 4 out of 5 who are fine, but as an FA on a plane are you going to take that chance? There are no bouncers or police on the plane. If you as the server of the alcohol have contributed to an "incident" you have to deal with it, and any possible legal ramifications.

Many jurisdictions around the world have "Responsible service of alcohol" laws. The names of these laws vary from place to place, but essentially they place some legal responsibility and consequences on the person serving the alcohol.

Last edited by Offshore171; Dec 25, 2018 at 4:02 pm