FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Itinerary for Senior First timers in Japan
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:08 pm
fandi

Originally Posted by LapLap
Was I still using a wheelchair?

I’m not sure I understand the question.

I was unable to move for a full year and was reliant on my husband wheeling me around in a chair for a year (the chair in the photo I posted).
During this time we went to Tokyo (staying in Shinagawa, Roppongi and Shirokane Takanawa) and on the way to Tokyo spent a few days in Rome (we also went to Alicante and Valencia in Spain on a separate trip whilst I was confined to a chair).
After the year where I couldn’t walk I was able to get around slowly using a rollator and then I made a convalescence trip when I was still having some problems with stairs, alone, to Osaka, Nara and an island in the Okayama area. I posted details in this thread:
AF Web@ward. LHR-CDG-NGO in AF & JAL J&Y. My budget trip
Not too long ago I went back to using some of the routes and detours I needed to follow in a wheelchair when my daughter was in a buggy.
When you’ve been in a wheelchair for an extended period, it certainly opens your eyes to problems and obstacles that you may have been unaware of before.
So you don't need a wheelchair now I guess. I enjoy reading the blog of your 2008 trip. If I was in a wheelchair, I would never be brave like you to get out of the house, let alone visiting a foreign country. I admire you, LapLap.
In your blog, you mentioned you didn't get the JR Pass but since the hotels I booked are major stations and on JR map, I guess I could buy 3 JR passes and activate when I touch down Narita and use JR line to go to Ueno station. A 7 day JR pass is good for Apr 4 thru Apr 10. I'll buy tickets as we go for Apr 11 and Apr 12 (Apr 12 is the day we don't travel any where, just check out hotel in Kyoto and take the train straight to Narita airport). I downloaded Hyperdia app and enter point A to point B but don't really understand what the app says. For example, why Keisei Skyliner 42 and transfer to JR Yamanote line? Don't they have JR line goes straight from Narita Terminal 2 to Ueno station?