FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1 year of elite status extension benefit for new parents.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:36 pm
East_and_West

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Applies increasingly to a male parent as to a female parent and yet the proof demanded by Aegean for use of this benefit is based on the sex of the parent. That is wrongful sex-based discrimination in my opinion and I hope Aegean corrects this.
This is a commendable initiative from A3 and a great enhancement for M&B ^ It's however been implemented in a outdated and discriminatory way. Nowadays it's a rule rather than an exception for parents to share their parental leave; in some countries couples can even lose some days of parental leave if one of the parents does not participate.

In addition to that, as @GUWonder wrote, it is often much harder for one obtain proof of parental leave than proof of having become a parent. What about self-employed people? Or in my line of work (consultancy) where it's a common practice for new parents to take just a couple of months "official" parental leave, but then choose to work for several months part-time from home? This effectively reduces their flights from 4-5 per month to just 1-2, or some months even none.

As @: D! wrote, a birth certificate or an official letter from the hospital should be proof enough for either parent. In the Nordics it would be definitely against the law to condition that on a parent's gender, and I would be surprised if it isn't so in every EU country, including Greece. This is of course an additional benefit that A3 are not even required to offer in the first place; yet once they have decided to do it, they should do it in a fair and non-discriminatory way.