Thread: December Doings
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:57 pm
Loose Cannon

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Up and Down the Golden State

Tour of Duty 5th December 2018 to 19th December 2018
Part III: 12th December to 17th December

I got word about two more trips so I took them. I made it clear what timeline I would be able to observe. I got transport to the shipper and loaded the truck and did inspection and got underway.

Trip: Compton, CA to Yuba City, CA 444 paid miles
Make: 2018 Freightliner
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Interstate 710 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 5 to California 2 to Interstate 210 to Interstate 5 to California 99
Maximum elevation: 4,144 feet at Tejon Pass Interstate 5 one mile south of the Los Angeles/Kern County line
Highest diesel price USA: 4.039$ per gallon at Pilot Castaic, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.779$ per gallon at Flying J Patterson, CA

I got started and had slow traffic as usual in the greater Los Angeles area. I avoided some traffic problems by taking the 2 to the 210 to avoid a problem area of the 5. I stopped to top up the fuel tank and DEF in Castaic, CA then headed up the Grapevine to Gorman, CA where I stopped to have evening rations which consisted of a steak sandwich and fries at Ranch House Restaurant. I did not realise it until I left but I saw a Health Department sign giving that establishment a "B" grade instead so I was concerned about getting sick but I did not get sick. I continued north on the 5 and stayed on the 5 at the 99 split. I would take California 99 later on in the trip. I spent the night in Lost Hills, CA

Thursday I continued north and got off at California 198 in the Coalinga area and stopped at Harris Ranch and got a tri tip sandwich at Harris Ranch Express, a quicker and less expensive alternative to the restaurant. I took on fuel in Patterson, Sacramento the south side of Yuba City. In the Sacramento area I got on California 99 north heading toward Yuba City. I had a challenge parking the truck at hotel but spent the night in Yuba City,CA.

Friday I completed delivery in Yuba City and got transport to Richmond for the next truck. During my trip from Yuba City to Richmond there was rain in the Fairfield area but it was not raining in Richmond when I picked up the truck.

Trip: Richmond, CA to Compton, CA 399 paid miles
Make: 2016 Peterbilt
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: standard straight 10-speed
Route: Richmond Parkway to Interstate 80 to California 4 to J4 Byron Road to Interstate 205 to Interstate 5 to California 120 to California 99 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 605 to California 91 to Interstate 710
Maximum elevation: 4,144 feet Tejon Pass Interstate 5 one mile south of the Los Angeles/Kern County line
Highest diesel price USA: 3.999$ per gallon at Pilot Castaic, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.599$ per gallon at Speedy Fuel Long Beach, CA

I was going to take the shortest route mileagewise to get out of the Bay Area but I checked my smartphone and saw there was a crash in the Oakland area causing a 20 minute delay. I knew that that 20 minute delay could grow to be a lot more especially as it was Friday afternoon. So I opted for an alternate route out of the Bay Area. Since it was Friday afternoon there was no way I would be able to make it to Compton before the receiver closed for the weekend so I knew I would be stuck with the truck for the entire weekend. As a result I had originally planned to spend Saturday night in Visalia and then attend a church that a friend of mine goes to there in Visalia. However I learned that my friend was going to be in southern California that weekend visiting relatives so I had to make other plans.

I got underway and soon I encountered off and on rain. The rain quit by the time I got to Martinez. Traffic was very slow on eastbound Interstate 205 in Tracy. As I was on the interchange making the transition to Interstate 5 I saw a roadside stand with a sign that said BBQ and I thought I saw the tops of semi trucks so I figured there was truck access so exited Mossdale Road and navigated my way to the roadside stand. I had evening rations at Kenny's Cafe the restaurant inside Denise's Farmers Market in Lathrop, CA. Afterward I got back on the 5 then headed east on the 120 to the southbound 99 and I took on fuel in Ripon. I continued south and ended up spending the night in Merced, CA.

Saturday I made my way south and stopped for early evening rations at Bravo Farms in Traver, CA. I continued south on the 99 and stopped at Hodel's and took a quick look at the buffet and decided it was not worthwhile so I stopped at Milt's and had a grilled cheese sandwich and found out their bleu cheese dressing is excellent dip for the french fries. I spent the night in Bakersfield, CA.

Sunday morning I attended service at Reformation Bible Church on the east side of Bakersfield, CA. The sermon was on Genesis 18:16-33. After church I parked the truck and took some pictures of downtown Bakersfield and I had a burger and fries at the lunch counter of Woolworth's in downtown Bakersfield. Afterward I continued south and went up and down the Grapevine. I took on fuel in Castaic and I ended up spending the night in Montebello, CA.

Monday I delivered the truck in Compton then got transport home.

My ride from Compton, California to Yuba City, California

Oh no!

My ride from Richmond, California to Compton, California

Lathrop, California

Lathrop, California

Traver, California

Bakersfield, California