FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:16 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have already received the $300 credit for a hotel charge and a $100 credit for global entry app. Do these charges still count toward the signup bonus or should I put another $400 on the card?

Originally Posted by Zorak
Just thinking out loud here, if you derive no value from the other incremental benefits of Lux over regular (probably true for a lot of us, esp if holding CSR) then I think it comes down to $95 vs. effective-$150 annual fee, for one-night cert worth up to 35k vs 50k. So as a ballpark estimate assuming you used the cert at its full value, would you pay $55 for 15k Marriott points?
The calculation is not quite so neat because it's not really a matter of points. I cancelled the Chase MR card a couple of years ago because the Cat 5 certs are basically unusable in California and most luxury resort and world class cities. By contrast I expect I will have no trouble finding several properties in the 50k category where the cert can be used and perhaps will save me real $$ over the discounted room rate. If you could just pay extra points on top of the certs then it would be easy to use them in NYC and just buy up. But of course that's not the deal.

To be fair I now have 3 cards with PP membership so that has zero value to me. I don't expect to be carrying this one in my wallet.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 23, 2018 at 12:28 am