FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Khachapuri and Kebabs: A Summer Adventure in Georgia and Turkey
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:27 am
Romanianflyer

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Part 7: Some lovely last moments in Batumi

After the lunch (OK, to be honest, the bottle of sparkling wine) I felt a bit tired and went back to my apartment for a siesta. Fortunately I had set an alarm clock on my phone to get up with enough time to spare to get out of the house to watch the sunset. Given how beautiful the colours of the sky already were the previous day during the sunset, I figured it would be even better today if I made sure to be on a better location with completely unobstructed views towards the west.

Walking towards the Batumi pier – which I figured would be the best location for sunset views based on the map and my previous walks around town – the sunset views were already gorgeous.

As the sun was still up high enough I figured I had some time for a small snack. What's not to like about ice cream with saperavi wine taste?

Once I hit the main Batumi beach the colours in the sky started to explode again in lovely shades of blue, purple, red and orange.

I headed slowly towards the pier – where the sunset indeed turned out to be quite an amazing sight.

What a gorgeous end of my stay in Batumi! Although the evening was not quite over yet – as I headed back towards the old town for some nightcaps.

I ended up drinking some shots of chacha (Georgian homemade vodka of at least 60 percent alcohol) and smoking a bit of nargileh before heading back to bed as the next day would see an early rise as I would leave for Turkey.

In short: What an unexpectedly fantastic destination Batumi is! Not only is the city very well-kept, it also is gorgeous with an intriguing mix between magnificent old architecture, modern skyscrapers and gaudy Mar-a-Lago-like structures. Whether you come for a family summer holiday, for the history, the great food scene, or for nightlife fun – this city surely has it all covered in summer. If I will have time in 2019, I might easily return for a summer weekend!

Next up: Crossing into Turkey for an entirely different world and adventures.