FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My 10-Day Japan Itinerary - Feedback?
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:27 am
jaybett4

Originally Posted by tt7
For a 10 night/11 day trip, I’d spend 4 nights in Tokyo and 7 nights in Kyoto, and take the train back to Narita on day 11. Get a 7 day JR Pass for days 5 - 11, do some day trips from Kyoto, depending on what you want to do.

Why do you want to stay in Osaka? Tokyo is modern Japan writ large, Kyoto is old/cultural Japan at its best, Osaka is .... not much of anything - a bit like a mini-Tokyo with none of Tokyo’s attractions. Why do you want to stay in Ginza - high-priced shopping and restaurants?
The main reason I am staying in Osaka over Kyoto is my hotel situation. I am using A LOT of points for this trip and the difference in price is significant between Kyoto and Osaka (based on the points I have available). While in Osaka, I will probably do 1 or 2 day trips to Kyoto and possibly Nara. I may go to Kyoto twice. With the JR Pass, it seems like an easy enough trip to make (2 hours round trip). I am an early riser and will try to get there on the first train in the morning (hopefully I can beat some of the crowds). I do also want to see Osaka. It seems interesting. Maybe I wont like it as much as Tokyo, but I want to experience it as well. In preparing for this trip, Japan has become more and more interesting to me. If it is half as interesting as it feels, I will be back several times and will explore more and more areas of the country.

As far as staying in Ginza, I was thinking of using that time to explore the Eastern side of Tokyo (going from Ginza to Asakusa and the surrounding area's).

Is it foolish to try and do the two day trips out of Osaka?

Thank you for the input.