FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:21 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
Just to follow up on this, I did indeed get the Gold card MR bonus, which posted a few days after I hit the spend and didn't require waiting until the end of the billing cycle, which is nice and is consistent with all previous MR bonuses I've gotten.

So, doesn't necessarily prove anything, but in my case the targeted offer did indeed work to overcome the having-had-the-PRG-before ineligibility, and who knows if I may otherwise possibly fall afoul of Amex's new bonus-denying rules. I'll just say I have received enough MR sign-up bonuses over the years to know the exact pattern for how and when they post...

And worth reiterating that I got the targeted mailer very shortly after I tried the public application and got the "you've had this card before" popup. So if anyone else is interested in the new Gold but is similarly ineligible, could be worth putting in an application through to the popup to see if something comes in the mail thereafter.
I'm more inclined to chalk this up to coincidence, but who knows? Thanks for the data point and congratulations on scoring the bonus!