FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinkpad to iPad Pro w/ USB-C as second monitor
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:25 am
MareLuce

Thinkpad to iPad Pro w/ USB-C as second monitor

I thought I had every cable, adapter, and dongle under the sun.

A second monitor would be soooo helpful for what I'm about to do for my next deadline.
Family visiting for Christmas is sleeping upstairs in my study, so my multi-monitor setup there doesn't help.
I thought - no problem, I've used Duet before with my same Thinkpad and my old iPad Pro w/ lightning connector, and it has worked perfectly.

However, now I have the iPad Pro with USB-C. Duet is not recognizing it. I searched their FAQ and Getting started - no answer there.

I have these cables:
Apple's USB-C to USB-A (female)
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
However, to plug it into my thinkpad I needed to find a USB gender changer to go from the USB-A (female) to what I need, USB-A (male).
Net: Still didn't work.

I suspect the gender changer is the problem.

So I looked through my USB-C box to find a single cable that is: USB-A (that is also USB-3) male to USB-C
I don't have that! I thought for sure I had one.
I do have several that are like:
Apple's USB-C to USB-A (female)
but I can't plug a USB-A female cable into my Thinkpad's USB port. Gah!

Then, I looked on Amazon to find a single cable that is: USB-A (that is also USB-3) male to USB-C that supports Thunderbolt.

Based on that google engineer who initially exposed all the big problems from bad USB-C cables:
EDIT: I deleted the link to that site. I started looking for his testing approach write-up. Couldn't find it. So I became suspicious the site didn't have anything to do with him.

Sure enough, in the fine print at the bottom of one of the pages, I saw:

This site is not in any way related to the person of Benson Leung or Google Inc.

I removed the link so no one else falls for it.
They are clearly making $$ off of his name. I wonder if he knows about it?

i'll probably go with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q6AAIQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B018Q6AAIQ&linkCode=as2&tag=benapp06-20&linkId=97da4059d157060916697d0926902a64 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q6AAIQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B018Q6AAIQ&linkCode=as2&tag=benapp06-20&linkId=97da4059d157060916697d0926902a64

When I initially searched, I didn't see any hits because I added "Thunderbolt" to the search.

Last edited by MareLuce; Dec 20, 2018 at 9:56 am