FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:19 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
I got a targeted offer for the personal Plat: 60K/$5K/3mo. The T&C do not have any "offer not available to previous cardholders" language. They do have the new boilerplate about "abuse and gaming". Odds on getting a bonus?

I have collected signup bonuses on 14 Amex cards in the last 3yr, starting with the infamous 100K Plat in August 2015. No outright abuse, but a RAT audit wouldn't be a good look for me.
My guesses - and they're only that - are:

- See what the T&Cs are when you go online to apply for the Plat. If you don't see any "previous cardholders" language, it's worth giving it a try.

- If you've been spending above and beyond the bonus requirements on most or all of these Amex cards, you're probably safe. But if you have a good number for which the spending has stopped after simply getting the bonuses, then you're on risky terrain re an audit.

One more thought: If you decide to cool it with Amex for whatever reasons, there are possible Citi (depending on what you already have) and certainly new Capital One transferable points cards you can shoot for.