FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice: South of Thailand, 5n stay at a beach hotel
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:02 pm
coljung

Programs: Aeroplan
Question Need advice: South of Thailand, 5n stay at a beach hotel

Hi!

To be quick, we are spending a week in Thailand at the end of March, it will be the last leg of a 4 week vacation. Same as with our previous trip, we would like to end the trip spending 4-5n at some beach resort somewhere in the south of Thailand.

I have a cat-5 5n package, but wouldn't mind staying at a cat-6 either. And i will have Platinum status as well.

We are a family of 3, including a 3yo. Last time, we stayed at the Ritz in Bali, and what was nice about it, was that we had a room with Pool access, that was great because if we put the baby to sleep, we could simply swim at night. This hotel also had club lounge, which upon paying a daily fee, provided 4 services, that way we didnt end up eating at the Ritz branded restaurants and the overall food bill was pretty decent.

For this time, we would simply like to relax and not worry about much else, and if there is a nice beach in front, much better.

I'd love to go to Railey ( or Ao Nang ), as we went last year, but 4n/5n there is too much, plus there are no Marriott properties nearby.

Now, my choices are Phuket, Koh Samui, and Phu Quoc ( i know, not thailand ).

- Phuket is my least favorite destination, given how popular it is and the beach does not seem particularly nice. But flying there is rather cheap, and there are a couple of properties worth checking out.
- Koh Samui is the ideal place, but there are only 2 cat-5s and the rest are cat-7 i think. Not sure about either the Ritz or the W, there are very mixed reviews. Also the fact that flying there is not cheap at all. Around $1k ( CAD ) for 3 people. Although someone told me i could use Etihad with Bangkok Airways, so that would help a bit.
- Phu Quoc, i've read plenty of decent reviews, and we do enjoy the JW brand a lot. Main problem is getting there. flights have a similar cost to Koh Samui, and direct flights dont go everyday. If we were to fly via SGN, then i think we have to pay for a visa, which would increase costs even more. But, of all hotels, this is the one i like the most, and also the hardest to get to.

So, im looking for recommendations, i'm sure people here have been at most of the hotels in the area, and i would like to see different opinions.

I've read a few reviews here and there, but nothing helps me so far making a decision.

Thanks in advance!