FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PPS Service on AC?
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by global happy traveller

for MP elite, yeah just more legroom. Don’t know about the rest.... and I try not to get accused for being drunk......
Can't comment on the booze/food portion as I'm not a 1K. However, as a lowly Gold I have taken advantage of the free same day changes. In particular, I recall being on the beach in Honolulu at OLCI and thinking to myself, why the heck do I want to leave paradise so soon? I ended up SDC'ing to a later flight to YYZ (via DEN). Had this been AC or another airline they would've wanted an arm and a leg for the privilege of changing such an international itinerary.

Truth be told, I'm torn on this whole AC vs UA debate. There are clearly merits to both airlines. In terms of the quality of the J cabin, it's hard to argue that AC has the upper hand (supposing their pods don't defate ). This dormitory style that UA has on their jets in J is insane - no one wants to play footsie with their seat mate when they're forking out thousands on fare! AC also clearly has the upper hand when it comes to lounges - most have actual food to eat and working showers. OTOH, when you look at how elites are treated by the airlines, I would argue UA has the upper hand here, be it complimentary extra leg room seating for elites, free same day changes, complimentary upgrades, free SPMarriott Gold status, etc. They are also decent when it comes to earning milage on fares, basically all fares on the major * airlines (UA,AC,LH,NH) earn 100% milage save for Economy Basic. Also the fact they have wifi on their fleet is something that makes a 14 hour experience on UA in Y+ enjoyable.

If there was an airline that combined both benefits of AC & UA I would jump ship in a heartbeat!

Safe Travels,

James