FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:37 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
It must be a very fine line between Grands and Regencys since some have transitioned into Grands. Like, GH Incheon and GH Hangzhou were both Regencys before.
IIRC Tampa Bay is another example. Also Manchester Hyatt in San Diego seems to have transitioned from Regency to Grand. Bothe of these properties did extensive renovations around the same time.

Incheon became Grand around the time its new tower opened, which roughly doubled the hotel's size and added a swimming pool and at least one additional F&B outlet, plus the lounge in the new tower. [Please don't ask me which is east versus west as I find that designation very confusing, especially when I'm jetlagged.]

I seem to remember chain hotels with Grand (or similar) in their names as something that started in Asia, for example with Seoul GH and also a Grand Hilton there. Tokyo had the Century which became HR and Shanghai has some Century Marriott. There's also the place, IIRC Marriott, in the Osaka train station and I think a couple other hotels in Japan. A similar example would be the Arabella designation in Europe for hotels in Germany and Spain. To me, it's confusing as I don't know whether this just means a larger hotel or whether it's meant to suggest higher quality.

The word grand has connotations of being fancy (or perhaps more formal) in English but merely large in French. In fact, in France, it seems that every little town has it's own unbranded Grand Hotel, most of which fail to be grand in either sense. They're typically older properties that tend to be a bit run down, old, worn, and sometimes downright depressing.