FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3,700 MQM short for Silver
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:30 pm
Gig103

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by GT Hill
Agreed. Totally my fault for delaying until the last minute. I thought about grabbing the amex reserve card deal back in September for the 10K mqm bonus, but spending 3000 in a week now is a bit of a stretch. Wonder if there is a way I could trade 10k regular miles (or appropriate amount) for 3700 mqms with a member that has gifting permission?
The thing is (coming to you from a new Silver), if you get the credit card in January, you instantly have two of the largest benefits, the checked bag and Zone 1 boarding, plus the lounge access for the year at $450 vs $599 for just the MQM boost. I'm not saying that the skypriority bag drop and preferred seating are bad perks, but they aren't $599 good. You can use that money to upgrade to C+ once in a while out of pocket. Or if you don't really care for the lounge the Skymiles Platinum card also has an MQM signup bonus (sometimes if not always), and is only a $195 annual fee. Now you're $400 ahead of the FO buy-up.