FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:55 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question American Express bonus eligibility tool questions

There must be a thread addressing this, but I've searched using terms like eligibility and can't find it, so...

1. How foolproof is the Amex eligibility tool? In other words, if you don't get the online caution that you won't receive the applicable bonus, are you assured of the bonus? I kind of assume not, but would welcome any input, data points, etc.
2. Is there any "statute of limitations" re getting a bonus even if you've had a given card previously? My wife got a 50K targeted offer in the mail for the revised Amex Gold (the one with the 4X bonus on restaurants and supermarkets), so applied and got instantly approved. I realize that you can still miss out on the bonus even if you get such an offer, but we think the last time she had a Gold card (if at all) was over a decade ago. Hence this question.
3. If before activating the card she calls Amex and asks to confirm eligibility for the bonus, will a positive response from the phone rep be reliable, or is even that subject to her still not getting the bonus?
4. Re #3 , am I correct in assuming that an online chat will be better, since it would be documented in writing?

Thanks for any advice on any of this.