FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA | 2018 edition
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:02 am
carrotjuice

Originally Posted by charlieboy77
I had exactly the same situation earlier this year on a BA flight in Club Europe to a leisure destination. I'd been watching the seat map periodically in the days leading up to my flight as the cabin was becoming quite busy judging by the assigned seats and I was curious at what point the curtain would extend back.
Row 1 is only able to be assigned by golds/silvers until T-72hrs or thereabouts when it opens up for others to select. I had assigned myself 1A at time of booking and until approximately 3 days out I was the only passenger assigned to the row. At or around this time I happened to look back at the seatmap again and noticed that row 5 (4 seats) was suddenly freed up as available and the 3 remaining seats in row 1 had been assigned. Fast forward to boarding and I settled into my seat. Knowing I now had a seatmate, I like to get on board as early as possible in order to secure overhead space above my seat. The rest of row 1 (1 adults and 2 kids) rocked up literally seconds later. Dad was clearly disappointed to see someone sat in 1A. Set the 2 kids up in 1DF and plonked himself down in 1C. A few minutes later he leaned over and posed me a similar proposition to the Alaskan flyer above - I'm encouraged to look back and to the right where a woman (I assume his wife) is waving back to me from 3F and whether I'd be up for swapping seats with her. I politely decline the offer of sitting further back and the guy keeps pushing the proposition. How I'm travelling on my own and how they're not and how it would be really helping them out if I were to move. I state that I've picked this seat for a specific reason (I'm 6'3 and appreciate the additional knee space in row 1) and counter proposition him of swapping with 3D so that he can sit next to his wife which did not to meet with approval either. It is only at this point I suggested to Mr 1C that perhaps he should have just stayed in row 5 in order to have remained sat together with the family and I'm met with his open mouth and no answer back in response. I had no proof of course of their seat shifting their way forward in the cabin. People are perfectly entitled to do so, however the proof to me came in the shape of his mouth agape and lack of response. Not a further word was spoken for the entire flight, although much taking over of the central console ensued for the flight with his eyeglasses, book, ipad, phone and the likes taking up most of the space. I felt this was a reaction designed to annoy and provoke, although in reality it really didn't as I had nothing apart from my phone to place there anyway. I just smiled to myself, deployed the B seat table for additional space and enjoyed the service.
Good for you! Thanks for sharing such heartwarming story.