FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boxes allowed as checked luggage?
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:36 am
Thomathy

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by djtriggz

I have just seen this on BA’s website
  • You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
Is there an extra charge for this size? Or would this be included in silver status?
There is no extra charge for this size, and it’s independent of status. For these oversized items you must drop them at the oversize baggage area (though at First Wing they sometimes send a person with a trolley to deal with it for you.)

I have carried many oversized boxes whilst furnishing a home in Africa and all have been straightforward, and have not incurred any extra charge. Often just tape my eBay purchase boxes together into one big Franken-box which fits within the rules, job done.

For extra convenience, note that AirPortr also accepts oversized items when travelling BA. I have travelled with boxes this way often, without having to schlep the boxes to Heathrow.