FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New(ish) luxury option in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:56 am
Fliar

Programs: some
New(ish) luxury option in New Zealand

Just got back from Donkey Bay Inn (https://www.donkeybayinn.co.nz/) in Russell, one of my favourite little towns in New Zealand in my favourite part of New Zealand (Northland, the north of the North Island). An amazing 4-bedroom property with incredible views, beautiful rooms and great service. At the moment this is my favourite NZ property together with Otahuna in the South Island (but at over NZ$2000 the latter is more than double the $900 of DBI). It's a 3.5 hour drive north of Auckland and about an hour north of Helena Bay (which I haven't stayed at yet) and an hour south of Kauri Cliffs (which I stayed at and enjoyed - but it's more than double the price and it's much less personal).

It used to be the Italian owner's house but following a divorce it was opened up as a boutique 'hotel' earlier this year. I booked it on a whim and am already looking for a date for my next stay. It's not going to stay at this price point for long I don't think.

There is no restaurant but they will drop you off to nearby Russell for dinner (5 minutes). The one thing lacking is a pool (but the private beach is perfect for swimming) or a spa - I hope they add one as it shouldn't be difficult/expensive to do and especially in the cooler months it would be great to have this.