FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:51 pm
ENIAC

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
MR says I can't reprice SPG reservation to new lower category! True?

Back when the new award categories were announced, I used my Starpoints to reserve two holiday season nights at a the Hacienda Uaymon, which was 25K SPG points a night, because I knew it would be dropping to the new Cat 6, for 50K MR points a night. I knew that I would have to call in to get it repriced, but had been put off by all the talk of delays and IT problems so assumed that things would get better later in the fall.

I just tried calling in to get it repriced, and it was a nightmare. Lots of struggling with the automated system to get through to a human. The first agent transferred me somewhere and I spent 25 minutes on hold before being disconnected. The second one started to help me, transferred me without telling me she was going to, and I had 10 minutes of unexpected hold announcements in Spanish (which I don't speak) before getting through to an agent who told me the only way to do it is to cancel and rebook. Except the reservation has a 90 day cancellation window, so he says I am out of luck and there is no way to reprice or credit,

I must admit that with the merger chaos I've been avoiding Marriott and haven't been monitoring things closely. Did all the talk about being able to reprice SPG reservations without cancelling them turn out to be wrong? Or is there a desk somewhere that can reprice my reservation and credit me the 50K points? Thanks for any pointers. I've spent a while looking for a thread that might have the answer, but didn't find it.