FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 777 D1 Suite PS + Comfort+ retrofit consolidated thread
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:21 pm
M2578Z

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Are we sure about that? Those could have been properly positioned, because I don't believe there will be any change in the number of rows. It's literally just adjusting the seats. They could have easily put the PSUs in the correct spot and adjusted row spacing to make it work in the short-term while they waited for the C+ to be installed.

I'm not saying it's not. If someone from the inside says they have to move, I totally believe it. But my understanding was they knew from the very beginning that the layout without C+ would only be temporary, and made accommodations to make adjusting the main cabin and adding C+ very simple.
If the number of seats didn't change, just the pitch, I think someone would have noticed a random 12-24" of empty space in the cabin. If the seats were already in their proper locations (which could be) and they were just waiting on seat covers, that would be odd.

Aircraft builds and refits are planned year(s) in advance with wiring harnesses (for IFE, power, lighting) built exactly for specific seat layouts. It's not like there is slack in the harnesses that they just wire tie in bundles on the ceilings and the floor. In the same vein, they cant just have unused lines dangling bounding around.

I suspect given the software limitations, Delta decided to forgo with C+ altogether thinking it wasn't needed. Based on flyer feedback after the A350 came out they decided to add back C+ but was too late for the first few 777s. Engineering work had to take place and the new layout had to be approved.