Old Dec 12, 18, 3:14 pm
mk112002

Programs: Alaska, American
Pay to Jump to Front of Alaska First Upgrade List at Gate?

Can you pay at gate to jump the First Upgrade List and get upgraded to First? YES!
As long as you got cash, your status, fare code and date of purchase do not matter on Alaska. This make me to rethink the value of MVPG 75K.

My wife and I are MVPG 75K and we usually purchase our tickets months ahead of flights with most Premium and First seats still in tack. We are routinely the first and second on the First upgrade list and are very often upgraded.
Lately, while at the gate, I notice other passengers lower on the First Upgrade List gets moved up ahead of me and gets upgraded before I am upgraded. Then last night at SFO, I finally saw it.

10-15 minutes before boarding and I notice someone move up ahead of us with two First seats available. I went up to the gate counter to check on the upgrade, I notice two guys at counter, one trying to keep a low profile and pay for something with one agent while the the other guy was trying to tell the other agent that they can't do what they are doing because it is unfair to MVP on the First upgrade list. I realize that I was being squeeze out of an upgrade. I protested to no avail. The gate agents and the supervisor did not take any action to rectify the situation except to ask for my email for possible followup. The lack of action to rectify the situation, let me to believe that these $$$ for upgrade is sanctioned by Alaska which was confirmed when I called customer care. If $$$ for upgrade is true, why bother paying higher fare for the same flights or enduring extra connections or long layovers in order to re-qualify for that MVP Gold or 75K.

My understanding of the First upgrade process is once at the gate, upgrade is processed according to First upgrade list. If my understanding is not correct, please correct me and advise what is Alaska's First upgrade process and priority?

Last edited by dayone; Dec 12, 18 at 6:22 pm Reason: Remove bold formatting.