FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:31 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Hi there,
I'm checking into my flight EWR-DEL for tomorrow, and I have the opportunity to upgrade my seat for about $1,000. However, I had put in for an upgrade using my 1K global prem vouchers. United says they can accept vouchers and upgrade up to 4 days in advance. I'm confused. When do they actually let you use the vouchers?
Using a voucher and upgrade seats being made available for voucher use by United are two completely different things. You can apply a voucher anytime up to day of flight - that doesn't mean it's automatically granted - in most cases, you straight to a waitlist. Just because you see an open seat on a United seat map, that doesn't mean you can slide right into it using a GPU. First, United needs to allocate one or more available seats to PZ inventory, which is what upgrades will come out of for a 1K. With one or two seats left, there is probably no PZ inventory and you'll be on a waitlist. $1000 is probably the way to go before it is gone.