FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kimpton Fitzroy London Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:36 pm
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Kimpton Fitzroy London Master Thread

There doesn’t seem to be a property thread for the Kimpton Fitzroy but I checked in tonight to see how it was and feel seriously underwhelmed.

it all feels a bit like a higher quality W hotel but without the charm.

Booked a queen urban room was initially given no upgrade and a £15 bar voucher. So pretty much bugger all in terms of elite recognition.

Being a raging cynic and Hilton and Marriott (nee Starwood) old hand I checked rooms for sale immediately prior to check in and at least 7 different upgraded room types were being sold. After my request to cancel my stay and move elsewhere, a Superior King became available.

It’s not a terrible room (in fact the quality of fit out of the whole property, aside from picking some of the more budget equipment options for the gym, is good) but the value proposition at my corporate rate of £280 a night is shockingly bad. My other options tonight were the IC PL at the same price but with Club, free minibar etc. The excellent Hilton Bankside at £220 a night (with similar sized rooms as standard, better upgrade chances, great free breakfast and club), CP The City at £211 a night (good Club and usually decent upgrades), IC O2 at £210 a night, Various decent Marriott options with club, free breakfast etc. starting from £190, Hilton Park Lane at £185, CP Kings Cross (little upgrade potential but decent lounge and gym) at £190 a night etc.

Apart from American Kimpton devotees I just don’t see why anyone sensible would pick this property when the competition offers more for less. Even without status in other chains Exec rooms with lounge come in at a similar price point elsewhere.

There seems zero reason to stay at the Fitzroy as a RA that is for sure. It’s a real shame but at the somewhat outrageous price point I expected far better than this and a little more benefit as an IHG elite member.