FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA | 2018 edition
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:40 am
Gold Digger

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
So, as promised on another thread (this one), I witnessed, or rather, overheard what can only be described as textbook DYKWIA. To give some context, BA206 (MIA to LHR) last Friday was already delayed by some 3 hours due to a technical issue with the inbound aircraft and as we pulled away from the airbridge, we were told that the starter motor on one of the engines had blown and so there was an undetermined delay while the ground maintenance crew fixed it. Anyway, at the start of what was going to be a further 4 hour delay, this was going on a few seats away..

DYKWIA: Is this the GGL Line? Now listen here, I have just been told that this already delayed flight is going to be delayed while a technical issue is looked into [PAUSE]. I MUST be in London tomorrow morning and I can see there is a BA A380 parked next door and so I need you to book me a seat on that flight. I have travelled on this route around 12 times in the past XX months and I have spent a lot of money with BA [PAUSE].....What do you mean??........ Now, I need you to do this as I have spent a lot of money with BA..... What?.........Well, you need to speak to your supervisor and then speak to the Captain to open the door [PAUSE].....What?....You're telling me that British airways is unable to contact their pilots in the cockpit? I know for a fact that is untrue and so you are lying to me. [PAUSE]. Stop saying "totally" after everything I say. I need you to stop talking and sort this out now. Just get me off this flight and onto the other one. You must provide a solution....you must provide a solution.....

At this point I zoned out...I think the conversation ended and the GGL line called back essentially saying that there was nothing to do but just sit out the delay. Now, I appreciate that there are people who spend a lot of money with BA and so understandably perhaps have some expectations to be treated differently to others, but what happens to their sense of reality??!
GD