View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 18, 1:29 am
NYTA

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
Looking for some advice/suggestions on our trip to Vietnam for the upcoming Christmas/New Year.

We are arriving in SGN late on 22 DEC, and will be staying 1 day/2 nights before flying to Phu Quoc where we have 3 nights. On 27 DEC will fly to Da Nang. Then our flight home is from Hanoi on 2 JAN. We are looking to have at least 2 nights in Hanoi (including New Years Eve).

Question is how to split our time between Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi and whether to visit Halong Bay?

Is it feasible to have 2 nights in Hoi An, transfer by car or motorcycle to Hue for 1 night, fly to Haiphong (from DAD) in the morning for a Halong overnight cruise and transfer to Hanoi the next day? In the case of an overnight cruise, how early can we expect to arrive in Hanoi? Sea plane seems to be out of our budget, but we will opt for private transfer, especially if it can save us some time.

Alternatively if we skip Halong Bay (this is difficult to decide based on feedback/reviews - but we are not really flexible on dates so need to commit before we know the weather forecast) should we extend Hanoi to 3 nights and still stay 3 nights in Hoi An/Hue or add another day there?
If we decide to do both Hue and Hoi An is there one we should do before the other ( considering Hanoi or Halong Bay is the next stop ) ?
I see there are flights from both HUI and DAD to HAN, both only from DAD to HPH.

All and any comments and suggestions are welcome!
The answer to this depends on variables not mentioned: is this a family trip? Couple? Are you looking for beaches or city? Both? I just did a family of 4 over 12 days in September Hanoi-Halong Bay Cruise-Hoi An-Mekong Delta-Saigon and felt like it was a real barnstorming tour rather than a relaxing holiday. Kids really liked the Halong Bay cruise and my wife liked the charm of Hoi-An. Overall opinion was we could have skipped Saigon altogether as it is just a bustling city lacking charm and that the Mekong was interesting but not a huge highlight. If you're looking for beach, then Phu Quoc is probably nice (haven't been there). I found the Hoi An beach to be just so-so but the town to be charming. The Halong cruise depends on which cruse line you do of course.