Old Dec 10, 18, 5:30 am
headingwest

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Be careful if booking with Expedia (and wanting to upgrade using vouchers)

I'm quite annoyed about this. I recently booked flights to Corfu with the intention of using my complimentary upgrade vouchers. Expedia, which is usually very good at showing the correct booking class, showed the flights as in Y bucket (or so I thought!). Everything showed Y, right through to the actual confirmation e-mail, but when I checked on Aegean's 'manage my booking' the flights are actually in P. Not the end of the world as upgrading those legs is not good use anyway - unless you just need to use up vouchers. So on this occasion it seems Expedia Y actually means Y=economy cabin, and not Y=Y fare.

So today I booked a return trip VIE-ATH with Expedia, this time displaying the J fare. Now, could then mean J=Business Class, obviously not, the full ticket cost 98.30 return. So I assumed that this time J actually refers to the fare class (i.e. fare bucket). When I get confirmation from Expedia, then checked Aegean's 'MMB', sure enough it booked in J.

I called up to upgrade (after checking I availability) but was informed that the flights weren't eligible because it was booked through an agent. Suffice to say that I'm not happy. I've never had a problem upgrading from online travel agent tickets before, so this is very annoying. I didn't bother arguing with the agent, but I've sent a complaint to customer services about the second booking.

Be careful when booking with Expedia if you want to upgrade.