FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying KQ with 17-hour layover at NBO
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:37 pm
kq747

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Blumie
With a 17-hour layover (arriving 5:50, departing 22:55), I'm planning to spend the day in Nairobi, including visits to the giraffe center and elephant orphanage.
Upon arrival at NBO, can I access the KQ lounge to store my bags and/or take a shower before leaving the airport?
If I do enough enough shopping in Nairobi that I want to check a bag, will checking a bag NBO-JFK be an issue given my full itinerary is DXB-NBO-JFK? (I don't know why this would be an issue, just don't recall ever having done this before.)
Fortunately I'll be in Nairobi on a Friday, when the Massai Market takes place at the Village Market Mall. Is there anything else specifically worth shopping for in Nairobi or at NBO?
Any other recommendations for things to do on an all-day stopover in Nairobi?
Definitely try do the elephants right on time and then right to giraffe center before lunch which should leave plenty of time for VM. I would always try get dinner somewhere interesting before heading to JKIA after VM.

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Just a warning that, with Friday evening traffic, from Village Market to the airport can easily take the better part of 2 hours. Plan accordingly!
Traffic is atrocious so ask the driver to use the eastern bypass if you're still around VM when heading to the airport. If you have dinner in Westlands or close enough to Wayaki Way, take the southern bypass. It's longer (just under 1 hour usually) but shorter and not bumper to bumper.