FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA HKG-PEK/ICN/TYO-DFW-MEX/GDL/CUN r/t $1,845
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:55 pm
Unionruler

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
So, I was considering combining this deal with an AY J YYZ-HKG ticket, which then made me wonder how good of a deal this actually is for those based in the US (and NYC/east coast in particular). I'm thinking about this from the perspective of someone who would make two (or more) trips to HKG from the east coast next year.

If I'm crediting to AY, no-brainer I would just book AY J tickets to HKG.

Even if I were to credit to AA, the AY ticket would get me (starting next year) ~38,000 EQMs and ~4750 EQDs (25% of 19,000 miles flown) for ~$2600. This ticket would get me ~45,000 EQMs and ~1800 EQDs for ~$1900. Yes, that's a ~$700 difference (and this fare has the potential of upgrading to F), but the cost of positioning to/from CUN (as opposed to YYZ or YUL) cuts into the difference. And the EQDs here are not great. And this fare is less flexible than the AY fare in terms of stopovers and such. Am I missing something? . . .
The fare isn't primarily meant for people like you
- Origin market is primarily HKG and Asia-based mileage runners
- Destination market is Mexico, people can also go south to Latin America instead of north (let's face it the USA is kinda boring is a holiday destination)
- Optimal credit is to AS, BA, CX for HKG-based...
- CX/AA reverse herringbone is less cramped than AY reverse herringbone