FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rate change during stay
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:14 pm
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by catcher1
Yes, I always alert the front desk to the follow-up reservation to make sure I can keep the same room with no hassle. And this has always worked just fine, except once when I tried to pull a fast one: I broke up a three-night stay into two reservations, one day first for a suite with balcony, then the second for two nights in a basic room. When I checked in, I told them I had the second reservation and asked if I could keep the same room. (I'm Diamond so my request could have been seen as a request for an upgrade, and wouldn't be out of line.) Nope. I'd have to pay $100 for each of the two additional nights.
I never try to book different room types for the different nights of a long stay. I usually book a standard King room but if a King room is not available every night of the full stay, I do book a Double room for each individual night.

But, one time in Boston, the agent upgraded me to a suite for the first night since he thought that I was staying only one night. That's when I broke the news to him that I had a second reservation for 4 nights. He looked floored but managed to give me the suite for the 5 nights. For free!