FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Options SIN-ATL for injured 74 y.o. parent
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:37 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Both of them travel long-haul int'l in Y often - our family is from SE Asia so the TPAC jaunts are old hat to us. It's the injury/mobility that is the major issue - I'm not worried about their ability to cognitively navigate the various airports, immigration, etc. and deal with DVT precautions.

Will inform them to try to get a doctor's note if at all possible. It sounds like he can move, slowly, but is in pain if he is seated for long periods of time. So just getting them into seats that are at a bulkhead or something which are more accessible for standing every so often during the flight would be good.

I am checking UG pricing with UA now. E+ is a no brainer at around $200 which I will just do. The cash buy-up to J is around $2.5k each that will take some more consideration. Mileage UG is waitlist only and requires 60k Miles + $600 copay...also quite steep. The SQ and HKG-ORD options are interesting. Will research SQ more and get a better sense from them of whether the seat is more important or fewer transfers more important. As someone said - the toughest part is getting a good assessment of the situation from afar.

Unfortunately no type of travel insurance (despite prior encouragement from me). They are the self-insuring type...I guess this is the trip where we finally pay for it.

I will pay for the Signature service if needed, but if all they really need is a wheelchair to use to get from their inbound flight, through immigration/customs, and to their outbound flight - will just getting standard wheelchair service be enough? I've never had to request a chair before so have no idea where the service starts/stops. I just want to make sure he's not having to stand in a customs line or something, but I know he will be fine to wait in a line so long as he can be seated (if that makes sense). They do not have and will not get/use GE or mobile passport.

Thanks again for the advice and tips so far. Trying to juggle this while also getting slammed at work and figuring out time zones. Will continue to check back if there are any other ideas, and of course to update y'all on the outcome!